Eliza - Tekken Revolution
Why I chose to make this costume:
The design was just too cute to pass up! I have a weakness for red/black costumes, and fighting game characters with a dark side to them. Eliza was a perfect project for my busy 2016 travel schedule!
How I made this costume:
Even though this is a fairly simple costume, compared to many of my others, I took my time creating it.
Bodice: I chose a soft red pleather for the bodice, and heavily altered a dress pattern to create the shape. The easiest way for me to pattern form fitting, structured garments, is to make a mock up with the lining fabric, in this case, a red satin. I basted the seams together, fitted it on my mannequin and myself, and drew the proper hem lines on. After I was happy with the fit, I took apart the lining to and used it as the pattern for the outer layer. I also installed boning channels into the lining, for extra structure. A lot of handsewing was involved to finish this piece.
Skirt and sleeves: My fabrics for these pieces were medium weight black satin, and a rouched, textured, taffeta. I spent a whole night cutting strips, folding them, running them through my serger, and ruffling them. The skirt is mainly the taffeta, while the sleeves are a mix of the satin and taffeta. I sewed lace trim between the ruffled layers, and onto the sleeves.
Rose vines: These were a crafting project involving fabric roses, floral wire, floral tape, and glue. I love being able to slip them on over my stockings!
Horns: These were a fun project on their own! I started with bubble wrap and aluminum foil, shaping two lightweight horn shapes. They were then covered with Worbla's Black Art. I cut out many strips of Worbla, and wrapped them around the horns to create the ridged texture. For attachment, I inserted a wired loop into each horn base, which allowed me to attach them to a headband. Some felt wrapped around for cushioning, and an extra elastic strap that I can tie around the nape of my neck, and the horns were able to sit on my head at that weird forward angle. I cut holes into the wig to slide the horns through.
Tattoo: Thank you to Ashley Riot for designing Eliza's tattoo for me!! I printed it out on temporary tattoo paper and it absolutely held like cement through a long sweaty day!
Thoughts on this costume:
The advantage of taking time for even simple projects is that the pieces are durable, and require little to no care afterward. This little costume is adorable and I have a lot of fun doing the makeup each time! Can't wait to take more photos, and wear it to more cons!
Watch a Making Of video for this costume!
Buy a signed print of this costume!